Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Response: Summer Internship at KC Parent


Over the weekend, I went to Kansas City for a scheduled interview with the editor of KC Parent. The job seemed to be mutually beneficial for her and I - I need more clips and she liked my experience working with the software and with reporting. I'm really excited about the position because I was planning on returning to my home town anyway to make a little money before I set off on my job hunt. I am still planning on applying for jobs throughout the summer, but if nothing comes my way before the fall, I think I'll just move to a city where I can continue to look for jobs in person. This internship will allow me to continue coming up with new clips for my portfolio and keep me involved in journalism while I take some down time to make my checking account a little prettier.

During the interview, I basically convinced the editor she should definitely come up with an app for the publication. She was impressed that I will have had experience working with iPad app software and knowing how to develop a concept for an app. I am tentatively in charge of coming up with the content and design for the app, if the plan follows through. I would be ecstatic to have this opportunity because I think it will be so beneficial to my job hunt! The small staff is receptive to my input and willing to let me dabble in multiple areas, although the internship is mostly editorial. I think it will be a great start and provide me with a lot of real-life experience for my future. Can't wait to get started!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your internship! That is exciting. I am glad that your interviewer was impressed with your knowledge/skills with the iPad. Good luck. I am sure this will be an amazing experience for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey congats on the internship! I'm glad you learned skills this semester that helped you get your foot in the door at a magazine! good luck on the job hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! That's great. And coming up with an app will be such a great experience. I hope you keep us updated with how it's going.

    ReplyDelete